Sunday, February 12, 2012

What is a good orchid for an office building cubicle?

it has indirect sun light and is about 10 feet from the large windows

What is a good orchid for an office building cubicle?
Phalenopsis will probably be easiest to get to rebloom. I have a bunch of mini-phalenopsis that bloom every year in my bathroom.

Try to pick one that has an attractive leaf structure as well as pretty blooms. The blooms will (hopefully) last for a few weeks, but the rest of the plant will sit there for a long time. A friend of mine buys sprays of silk orchids, and when her plants real flowers die off she puts a spray on the plant.



Don't fuss over it much. I have learned by killing many plants. When I bring them home I don't water them for a week. Orchids are actually a succulent type plant. My first instinct is to water it when I think it's stressed by a move and an orchid will actually do better dry when it is stressed.



I finally took a cue from my mom. My brother gave her an orchid from safeway - she put it in a north facing window and gave it 1/2 cup of water once a week. Darned if that thing didn't have continuous blooms on it for about four years! The spike would die, another would come immediately. I cut way back on pampering my orchids and now they thrive.



Air in offices is usually pretty dry, so have a tray or dish under the plant with pebbles or marbles in it and keep water in it so the plant has plenty of moisture around it. Don't let the roots sit in water.
Reply:I never knew orchids were so fickle...:)


No comments:

Post a Comment